product description page
European Union's New Democracies : Politics of the Accession States (Hardcover) (Karen Henderson)
about this item
The enlargement of the European Union (EU), with the accession of ten new member states, is probably the most important moment in its history.
The European Union's New Democracies is carefully designed to introduce students to the politics of the post-communist states which are now part of the EU. It also explains the political systems of the states of Central and Eastern Europe within the framework of European integration. Written in an extremely clear and accessible style it:
- provides comprehensive coverage of Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia, as well as Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania
- explains the historical background to the transition process
- compares the political systems, institutions, party systems and constitutions
- examines the conflicts between 'old' and 'new' Europe over foreign policy
- analyzes the development of the EU's enlargement policy.