product description page
Evolution of Applied Harmonic Analysis : Models of the Real World (Hardcover) (Elena Prestini)
About this item
A sweeping exploration of essential concepts and applications in modern mathematics and science through the unifying framework of Fourier analysis! This unique, extensively illustrated monograph describes the evolution of harmonic analysis, integrating theory and applications in a way that requires only some general mathematical sophistication and knowledge of calculus in certain sections.
* Historical sections interwoven with key scientific developments showing how, when, where, and why harmonic analysis evolved
* Exposition driven by more than 150 illustrations and numerous examples
* Concrete applications of harmonic analysis to signal processing, computerized music, Fourier optics, radio astronomy, crystallography, CT scanning, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy
* Includes a great deal of material not found elsewhere in harmonic analysis books
* Accessible to specialists and non-specialists
* Contains new chapters on the fast Fourier transform, atmospheric physics, and climate change
The Evolution of Applied Harmonic Analysis, 2nd ed. will engage graduate and advanced undergraduate students, researchers, and practitioners in the physical and life sciences, engineering, and mathematics.