product description page
Fast Facts for the ER Nurse : Emergency Department Orientation in a Nutshell - (Paperback)
About this item
The newly revised third edition of the bestselling orientation guide for novice ER nurses delivers important clinical updates across body systems in an easy-to-read on the move bullet-point format. Including a new chapter on hematologic emergencies with evidence-based practice for sickle cell care management, all sections of this new edition have been thoroughly updated to supplement the ER nurse's busy day-to-day orientation process.
The only book of its kind, this quick-access guide prepares ER nurses for the most common illnesses they will encounter by alphabetically organizing diseases and disorders within each body system. All chapters, written in short paragraphs with at-a-glance bulleted information, list relevant materials, equipment, and drugs. Each possible diagnosis comes with a definition, causes, signs and symptoms, and interventions.
The popular "Fast Facts in a Nutshell" feature consists of succinct key points and questions and answers for review. Culminating in appendices that include a list of abbreviations, common lab values, EKG rhythms, and frequently used ER medications, this quick reference addresses the ER nurse's needs at a glance. Skills check-off sheets provide crucial self-checks for efficient and confident care in the ER.
New to the Third Edition:
- New documentation tips throughout and updated illustrations
- Updated American Heart Association Guidelines included
- Stroke updates with TPA inclusion and exclusion criteria and administration tips
- Disaster response updates including highly infectious diseases and mass casualties
- Updates on increased opioid-induced cardiac arrests, toxicological emergencies, and substance abuse (includes synthetic and designer drugs)
- Updated information on respiratory emergencies
- Reorganized shock information
- Written by an expert ER nurse for novice ER nurses and preceptors
- Handy pocket size
- Provides easy referral to equipment, medications, procedures, and specialty care
- Includes practical tips, tricks of the trade, and critical thinking questions
- Audio book format available for the ER nurse on the go
- Instructor's resources available