product description page
Fire Island Lighthouse : Long Island's Welcoming Beacon (Paperback) (Bill Bleyer)
About this item
The first Fire Island Lighthouse was constructed in 1826 after numerous shipwrecks along the barrier island. A replacement tower built in 1858 incorporated innovations in lighthouse design such as the Fresnel lens. Vessels anchored offshore, known as lightships, augmented the lighthouse for many years. The Coast Guard shut down the site in 1973. Through the efforts of the Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society and the National Park Service, the beautiful structure was meticulously restored and the tower relit in 1986. Along with a selection of wonderful color photographs depicting the grandeur of the lighthouse, author Bill Bleyer charts the history of Long Island’s cherished Fire Island Lighthouse.
Number of Pages: 144
Genre: History, Photography, Transportation
Publisher: Arcadia Pub
Author: Bill Bleyer
Street Date: May 15, 2017
Item Number (DPCI): 248-46-8134
If the item details above aren’t accurate or complete, we want to know about it. Report incorrect product info.