About this item
"With lush color photographs and lavishly detailed illustrations, this encyclopedia presents a striking abundance of information at a glance.... Strongly recommended for high school, public, and academic libraries."--Booklist (for previous edition)
The Firefly Encyclopedia of Reptiles and Amphibians covers every family, ranging from large, predatory constrictors and crocodilians to miniature tree frogs and salamanders. This third edition adds 32 extra pages to incorporate numerous important updates based on the latest scientific findings and interpretations.
The comprehensive coverage includes:
- Big increases in the number of known families and species: 17 new families of amphibians and 18 new families of reptiles; Amphibian species are up from 6,182 to 7,387; Reptile species are up from 8,726 to 10,038. Frogs alone have gone up from 5,453 species to the currently agreed 6,508.
- Maps for all families of salamanders, frogs, turtles, lizards, snakes, and crocodilians
- More than 320 stunning full-color photographs and illustrations
- Information on current conservation and environmental concerns
- Extinctions and Declining Amphibian Populations section and map
- Updated family trees.
Straightforward expert text, over 320 illustrations (including photographs, anatomical drawings, renderings and maps), species tables, graphs, distribution maps, Factfiles, Special Features, Photo Stories, a Glossary, Bibliography, Further Reading and Useful Websites--all at an affordable price--speak to the extraordinary value of this reference.
Since 2002, this highly acclaimed encyclopedia has provided specialists, educators and general readers with an authoritative and comprehensive overview of the world's reptiles and amphibians. Universally praised and cited widely in scholarly and lay publications, it belongs in all collections.