product description page
Food Carotenoids : Chemistry, Biology and Technology (Hardcover) (Delia B. Rodriguez-Amaya)
About this item
Carotenoids were first studied as natural pigments, then as precursors of vitamin A, and then as bioactive compounds against chronic diseases. These compounds have been and continue to be the subject of intense research worldwide, now with an expanded scope.
Food Carotenoids: Chemistry, Biology and Technology gathers all the important information about these major compounds which impact both food quality and human health. It integrates in one volume various aspects of food carotenoids, such as:
- Structures and physicochemical properties
- Biosynthetic pathways and metabolism
- Analysis and composition of foods
- Stability and reactions during processing
- Commercial production as food colorants and precursors of aroma compounds
- Bioavailability and health benefits
Having worked with carotenoids in various aspects for 44 years, Delia Rodriguez-Amaya is uniquely placed to pass on her wealth of knowledge in this field. This book will serve as solid background information for professionals in Food Science, Food Technology, Nutrition, Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry and Medical Sciences, whether in the academe, industry, governmental and non-governmental agencies.