Fort Pierce celebrates a rich and colorful history. The city, located along the Indian River, established in 1837 as a fort during the Seminole Wars, and named for commander Lt. Col. Benjamin Pierce, is an idyllic place to live and play. Long before Flagler extended his railroad south, this area was a tropical wilderness with only the Native Americans to enjoy the warm climate, the waters teeming with fish, oysters, and clams, and the roaming wildlife. The pioneering families that homesteaded the area in the 1860s developed a community that would become the county seat of St. Lucie County and what is now Fort Pierce. Today, Fort Pierce is a thriving city with an abundance of cultural and educational facilities-yet it retains its small-town friendliness and residents take pride in preserving the area's natural beauty.