product description page
Fundamental Concepts and Skills for the Patient Care Technician (Paperback) (Kimberly Townsend)
About this item
Learn to master the wide range of information and skills needed by today's health care workers with Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Patient Care Technicians. While its comprehensive coverage of patient care is appropriate for all types of health care workers, this all-new text is specifically designed to prepare students and professionals for the topics they will face on the Patient Care Technician or the Nursing Assistant certification exams. Coverage includes working within the healthcare team, ethics, laws, communication, understanding patients, culture, patient rights, body structure and function, and growth and development. Procedure units cover safety, infection control, moving and transfers, vital signs, patient assessment, care, comfort, hygiene, and grooming, nutrition and fluids, elimination and respiration skills, and care of the surgical patient. Plus, advanced skills for Patient Care Technicians such as specimen collection, phlebotomy procedures and ECG procedures are also included.
- Over 75 step-by-step procedures cover the information found on the Nursing Assistant and Patient Care Technician certification exams.
- Illness and Injury Prevention boxes highlight important safety issues.
- Delegation and Documentation boxes emphasize what information is needed from the nurse before the procedure and what information should be reported and recorded after the procedure.
- Chapter review questions test understanding of chapter content.
- Case scenarios feature realistic clinical situations with questions to help you apply chapter content to actual practice.
- Chapter learning objectives and key terms emphasize important chapter information.
- Chapter summaries provide key points to remember.