About this item
The Fungi, Third Edition, presents a comprehensive discussion of the fundamental and applied aspects of fungi, including their mycology. The text covers well-studied species from major fungal groups, delving deep into this diverse group of living organisms that are comparable in numbers of species, diversity, and ecological significance to animals, plants, protists, and bacteria. This up-to-date edition has been revised and substantially expanded, incorporating the application of methods of molecular biology, especially DNA technology to their mycology. Question and answer sections at the end of each chapter complement the learning process.
- Includes modern classifications based on molecular phylogeny
- Details the recent increased understanding of the organelles and processes involved in hyphal growth
- Provides a new molecular understanding of mating type genes
- Details the latest on molecular recognition in the infection process
- Covers the latest on the use of genetically manipulated fungi to produce products earlier obtained from mammals