About this item
In 1832, a new township was formed from land given by the Elk Creek, Fairview, and Springfield Townships. At the time, Stephen Girard lived in Philadelphia; he was a businessman, banker, and the founder of Girard College. He was thought to be the wealthiest man in the country. Thus, the township was named after him in an attempt to lure him into investing in the town. The early settlements, located in what is now Girard Township, were known as “The Hollow,” “West Girard,” and “The Mouth of Elk Creek.” The “Settlement on the Hill,” now a borough of Girard, was first settled in 1814.With the completion of the Erie Extension Canal in 1842, Girard grew and incorporated as the “Borough of Girard” in 1846. “Girard Station” was first established in 1850 and was commonly known as “Miles Grove,” “North Girard,” "Dan Rice Town," and now, “Lake City Borough.” The settlement began as “Miles Grove” with the establishment of a post office in 1862. The name was changed in 1906 to “North Girard,” and incorporated into a borough in 1925. It was later renamed “Lake City Borough” in 1954.
Number of Pages: 96
Genre: History, Photography
Series Title: America Through Time
Publisher: Arcadia Pub
Author: Geoffrey Domowicz
Street Date: March 20, 2017
Item Number (DPCI): 248-38-5314
If the item details above aren’t accurate or complete, we want to know about it. Report incorrect product info.