product description page
Grandma Panda's China Storybook : Legends, Traditions and Fun - by Mingmei Yip (Hardcover)
About this item
With classic Chinese fairytales and folk stories, Grandma Panda's China Storybook introduces children to Chinese culture in a fun, adventurous way! Grandma Panda is a wonderful teacher, a wonderful storyteller and a wonderful cook! Her grandchildren, Baobao and Lingling, love staying with her every summer because, at Grandma Panda's house, each day is an adventure. This summer, with the help of celebrated novelist and artist Mingmei Yip, Grandma will take them to a world filled with Chinese calligraphy, kites, kung fu and more! They'll get to hear Grandma's stories of a time long ago in China, when everything began, and learn simple Chinese language along the way. Come join Grandma Panda, Baobao and Lingling for a summer of fun and learning as bright watercolor illustrations make favorite legends come alive!Chinese stories include:
- Yum Yum, We Love Dim Sum!—Grandma and the children go to a restaurant to enjoy dim sum. Grandma explains what dim sum is and tells the legend of how it was invented.
- Grandma Panda Teaches Us Chinese Writing—Grandma shows the children how to mix ink and hold their brushes. She shows them characters in both their ancient and present forms and tells them the story of four-eyed Cang Jie.
- Dotting the Dragon's Eyes—To explain the importance of paying attention to detail, Grandma tells the story of Zhang Sengyao.
- The Story of Mulan, the Brave Woman Warrior—Grandma tells the story of Mulan to teach the virtues of bravery, leadership, patriotism and determination.
- The Little Kungfu Warriors—The story of Mulan excites the little pandas into action, and they and grandma share a few moves.
- The Painted Faces of Chinese Opera—Grandma explains the meaning of the painted faces.
- Fun with Chinese Kites—Grandma takes the children kite flying and tells them the story of Luban the kite inventor.
- Grandma Panda Sings an Old Farewell Song—Grandma shows the children the Qin and sings "Three Variations on the Yang Pass"
Number of Pages: 33
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Age Range: 4-8 years
Author: Mingmei Yip
Street Date: October 17, 2017
Item Number (DPCI): 248-54-4022