product description page
Handbook of Psychological Assessment (Hardcover) (Gary Groth-Marnat)
About this item
Organized according to the sequence mental health professionals follow when conducting an assessment, this classic resource covers principles of assessment, evaluation, referral, treatment planning, and report writing. Written in a practical, skills-based manner, the sixth editionprovides guidance on the most efficient methods for selecting and administering tests, interpreting assessment data, how to integrate test scores and develop treatment plans as well as instruction on ways to write effective, client-oriented psychological reports.
The latest edition provides through coverage of the most commonly used assessment instruments including the Wechsler Intelligence Scales, Wechsler Memory Scales, Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, Personality Assessment Inventory, Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory, NEO Personality Inventory, Rorschach, Thematic Apperception Test, and brief assessment instruments for treatment planning, monitoring, and outcome assessment. In addition, this sixth edition includes:
- Fully updated with new research and the DSM-5 and ICD-10
- New chapter on the NEO Personality Inventory-3. The NEO inventories provide a comprehensive assessment of adult and adolescent personality based on the strongly empirically supported Five Factor Model of personality.
- New chapter on the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI), which has gained both strong empirical support and wide clinical popularity.
- Includes updated information on the newly developed Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, Fifth Edition (WISC-V).
- The chapter on the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory includes coverage of both the MMPI-2 and the MMPI-2-Restructured Form (MMPI-2-RF)
- The chapter on the Rorschach discusses both the Comprehensive System and the Rorschach Performance Assessment System (R-PAS).
- The “Use with Diverse Groups” sections reflect the more extensive use of assessment for a wide variety of populations and the importance of competently and sensitively working with diverse populations.
- Greater emphasis on making assessment more user friendly and consumer oriented. This is reflected in suggestions for using everyday language in reports, connecting interpretations to actual client behavior, strategies for wording interpretations in a manner likely to enhance client growth, and the importance of collaborating with clients.
- The treatment planning and clinical decision making chapter has been completely updated, and the psychological report writing chapter has been updated to include the American Psychological Association and Society for Personality Assessment’s current thinking about proficiency in personality assessment.