product description page
HBR's 10 Must Reads for New Managers : Bonus Article-How Managers Become Leaders by Michael D. Watkins
About this item
Develop the mindset and presence to successfully manage others for the first time.
If you read nothing else on becoming a new manager, read these 10 articles. We’ve combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the most important ones to help you transition from being an outstanding individual contributor to becoming a great manager of others.
This book will inspire you to:
- Develop your emotional intelligence
- Influence your colleagues through the science of persuasion
- Assess your team and enhance its performance
- Network effectively to achieve business goals and for personal advancement
- Navigate relationships with employees, bosses, and peers
- Get support from above
- View the big picture in your decision making
- Balance your team’s work and personal life in a high-intensity workplace
This collection of articles includes “Becoming the Boss,” by Linda A. Hill; “Leading the Team You Inherit,” by Michael D. Watkins; “Saving Your Rookie Managers from Themselves,” by Carol A. Walker; “Managing the High-Intensity Workplace,” by Erin Reid and Lakshmi Ramarajan; “Harnessing the Science of Persuasion,” Robert B. Cialdini; “What Makes a Leader?” by Daniel Goleman; “The Authenticity Paradox,” by Herminia Ibarra; “Managing Your Boss,” by John J. Gabarro and John P. Kotter; “How Leaders Create and Use Networks,” by Herminia Ibarra and Mark Lee Hunter; “Management Time: Who’s Got the Monkey?” by William Oncken, Jr., and Donald L. Wass; and BONUS ARTICLE: “How Managers Become Leaders,” by Michael D. Watkins.