product description page
High Performance Images : Shrink, Load, and Deliver Images for Speed (Paperback) (Colin Bendell & Tim
about this item
High-quality images have an amazing power of attraction. Just add some stunning photos and graphics to your website or app and watch your user engagement and conversion numbers climb. It can be tricky, but with this practical guide, you’ll master the many facets of delivering high performance images on the internet—without adversely affecting site performance.
You’ll learn the nuts and bolts of color theory, image formats, storage and management, operations delivery, browser and application behavior, the responsive web, and many other topics. Ideal for developers, this book also provides useful tips, tricks, and practical theory for processing and displaying powerful images that won’t slow down your online product.
- Explore digital image theory and the different formats available
- Dive into JPEGs, SVG and vector images, lossless compression, and other formats
- Use techniques for downloading and rendering images in a browser, and for loading images on mobile devices and cellular networks
- Examine specific rendering techniques, such as lazy loading, image processing, image consolidation, and responsive images
- Take responsive images to the next level by using content negotiation between browser and server with the Client Hints HTTP standard
- Learn how to operationalize your image workflow
Contributors include Colin Bendell, Tim Kadlec, Yoav Weiss, Guy Podjarny, Nick Doyle, and Mike McCall from Akamai Technologies.