product description page

History and Heritage of St James's Hospital, Dublin (Hardcover) (Davis Coakley & Mary Coakley)

History and Heritage of St James's Hospital, Dublin (Hardcover) (Davis Coakley & Mary Coakley) - image 1 of 1

about this item

The history of St James's Hospital stretches back to 1703 when an act was passed to build a workhouse on its site. Just under thirty years later a foundling hospital was added to the workhouse. The opening chapters discuss this period and the pitiful treatment of abandoned children. When the Foundling Hospital was closed in 1829 the buildings were used to house the South Dublin Union Workhouse. The workhouse played a crucial role during the Great Famine, giving shelter to thousands of starving people. The buildings of the workhouse were commandeered by the 4th Battalion of the Irish Volunteers during Easter Week 1916. After Independence, the South Dublin Union was renamed St Kevin's Hospital and became a municipal hospital for the poor of the city. In 1971 three of the oldest voluntary hospitals in Dublin - Mercer's, Sir Patrick Dun's and Baggot Street Hospitals - amalgamated with St Kevin's to form St James's Hospital. Over a very short period of time St James's Hospital became the largest teaching hospital in Ireland. This book describes the history of these developments and their impact on the city of Dublin.
Number of Pages: 452.0
Genre: History, Architecture
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Intl Specialized Book Services
Author: Davis Coakley & Mary Coakley
Language: English
Street Date: September 30, 2017
TCIN: 52443954
UPC: 9781846826078
Item Number (DPCI): 248-45-7374

guest reviews

Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store & online. See our price match guarantee. See how a store is chosen for you.