Series Title: Images of America (Arcadia Publishing)
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing (SC)
Book theme: State & Local, West (AK, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY)
Author: Joseph M McMahon & Peter Sonne
Street Date: September 17, 2012
Item Number (DPCI): 247-35-2141
The history of Rancho San Justo and Hollister began in 1839 when Gov. Juan Alvarado gave the land grant to Jose Castro. Castro sold the land to Francisco Pacheco, who, in turn, sold the land grant to William Hollister and his partners Llwellyn Bixby and Thomas and Benjamin Flint. In 1861, the men agreed to split the property. The site for the town was surveyed in 1868 with plans to divide the site into 50 homestead lots. Colonel Hollister sold his portion of the rancho to a group of men who called themselves the San Justo Homestead Association. At that time, the town of Hollister was still in Monterey County; however, the homestead association started agitating for a division of the county. An act to create the county of San Benito was approved by the governor on February 12, 1874, and Hollister became the county seat.