product description page
How to Teach Writing Across the Curriculum, Ages 8-14 (Revised) (Hardcover) (Sue Palmer)
about this item
Now in an updated second edition How to Teach Writing Across the Curriculum: Ages 8-14 provides a range of practical suggestions for teaching non-fiction writing skills and linking them to children’s learning across the curriculum. Emphasising creative approaches to teaching children’s writing in diverse and innovative ways, it provides:
- information on the organisation and language features of the six main non-fiction text types (recount, report, instruction, explanation, persuasion and discussion)
- suggestions for the use of cross-curricular learning as a basis for writing
- planning frameworks for children to promote thinking skills
- advice on developing children’s writing to help with organisational issues – paragraphing and layout, and the key language features
- examples of non-fiction writing
- suggestions for talk for learning and talk for writing (including links to 'Speaking Frames'; also published by Routledge)
- information on the transition from primary to secondary school.
With new hints and tips for teachers and suggestions for reflective practice as well as a wealth of photocopiable materials,How to Teach Writing Across the Curriculum: Ages 8-14 will equip teachers with all the skills needed to create enthusiastic non-fiction writers in their classroom.