product description page
Human Body in Health & Disease (Hardcover) (Kevin T. Patton & Gary A. Thibodeau)
About this item
Offering a student-friendly writing style, this text presents a body systems approach with a strong emphasis on vocabulary and basic anatomy and physiology concepts, as well as the basic mechanisms of disease and pathologic conditions associated with each body system. This comprehensive text is dominated by two unifying themes: the complementarity of structure and function and homeostasis. The integrating principle of homeostasis is used to show how "normal" structure and function is achieved and maintained. Failures of homeostasis are shown as basic mechanisms of disease. The reader is drawn into the subject by superior illustrations, including cadaver dissections, and other student-friendly features.
- Boxed Essays throughout each chapter contain information ranging from clinical applications to sidelights on recent research or topics related to exercise and fitness.
- Clinical Applications at the end of each chapter offer short case studies with questions that tie theory to practice, and encourage students to apply their knowledge to specific, practical problems. Answers are in the back of the book.
- Readability and coverage are at the appropriate level for students approaching the study of anatomy and physiology for the first time, with interesting analogies and examples along with the factual information.
- Superior art program, with over 450 full-color illustrations, complements text material.
- Chapter Outlines introduce each chapter and preview the content.
- Objectives contain measurable objectives for students to identify key goals and master information.
- Detailed Outline Summaries at the end of each chapter provide an excellent recap of important chapter content.
- New and important vocabulary terms are listed at the end of each chapter, and a comprehensive Glossary provides the full definition for each term. All vocabulary terms in each chapter are provided in bold print.
- Student self-evaluation activities at the end of each chapter measure their mastery of content. The Chapter Test (answers in back of book), Review Questions and Critical Thinking (answers in Instructor's Manual) provide objective and subjective questions and encourage use of critical thinking skills.
- Pathologic Conditions appendix provides tables summarizing specific pathological conditions by characteristic.
- Medical Terminology appendix provides a list of word parts commonly used in terms related to medicine and pathology, along with tips on dissecting complex terms to determine their meanings.
- Clinical Laboratory Values appendix provides commonly observed values for human body content and physiological conditions, along with their normal ranges.
- New Chemistry of Life chapter discusses basic chemistry concepts needed for understanding basic anatomy and physiology.
- The Panorama of Anatomy and Physiology/Body Spectrum: Mosby's Electronic Anatomy C
Number of Pages: 800
Publisher: Elsevier Science Health Science
Author: Kevin T. Patton & Gary A. Thibodeau
Street Date: February 1, 2017
Item Number (DPCI): 248-24-2951