product description page
Instrumental Music Education : Teaching With the Musical and Practical in Harmony (Revised) (Paperback)
About this item
Instrumental Music Education is written for instrumental music education majors studying to teach at the elementary, middle school, or high school levels. The fundamental goal of the text is to prepare future band and orchestra directors for the real world by balancing three objectives:
- Developing musicianship in school ensembles—What musical concepts do our students understand and how well do they listen?
- Optimizing ensemble performance—How well does the ensemble play musically?
- Outfitting directors with the practical solutions needed to manage a program—How do I fulfill my role as the program’s administrator?
Instrumental Music Education’s balanced pedagogical approach exposes students to a variety of philosophies and practice, including the sound-to-symbol approach advocated by leading educational scholars. The companion website offers a wealth of material for students, including audio, video, links to further resources, and sample forms and letters.
New to this Edition
The second edition is streamlined and revised to improve the text’s breadth and depth. New and enhanced topics include teacher certification and evaluations, additional coverage of beginning band pedagogy in the text and companion website, expansion of student assessment and specific classroom applications, diversity, non-traditional ensembles, special needs, student-centered versus teacher-centered instruction , and how to balance conceptual teaching with rehearsal strategies. In addition, each chapter includes activities for students in the field and assignments directly applicable to 1st year teachers.
The Companion Website
The companion website includes:
- Over 120 videos demonstrating rehearsal technique, individual instrument pedagogy, and conducting techniques.
- Over 50 tracks of acoustically pure drones and demonstration exercises for intonation practice in rehearsals, sectionals, and lessons
- 220 rhythm flashcards
- Template letters and forms discussed in the text
- Repertoire lists
- Sample lessons and sequences