product description page
International Tables for Crystallography, Powder Diffraction (Hardcover) (Christopher Gilmore & H. U.
About this item
Powder diffraction is the mostly widely used crystallographic method, with applications spanning all aspects of structural science. This new volume of International Tables covers all aspects of the technique with over 50 chapters written by experts in the field.Consisting of seven parts, this volume will:
- Provide an overview of the principles of powders diffraction.
- Discuss the radiation sources used for powder-diffraction studies, instrumentation, the use of different sample environments and methods of sample preparation.
- Cover methodology, including data processing, indexing and reduction, whole-pattern modelling and quantitative analysis. With an overview of the relevant crystallographic databases also provided.
- Focus on structure determination (including real- and reciprocal-space methods and the maximum-entropy method), structure refinement and structure validation.
- Discuss defects, texture, microstructure and fibres, including stress and strain, domain size and thin films.
- Review the available software for powder diffraction.
- Describe applications to many areas of industrial and academic importance, including macromolecules, minerals, ceramics, cement, polymers, forensic science, archaeology and pharmaceuticals, discussing both the theory and applications.
Volume H will be the key reference for all powder diffractionists from beginners to advanced practitioners, and has been designed to be a practical volume without sacrificing rigour. Many examples of the powder-diffraction method are discussed in detail, and in several cases the data used in the examples will be available for the reader to download.