product description page
Interviewing and Investigating : Essential Skills for the Legal Professional (Paperback) (Stephen P.
about this item
Interviewing and Investigating: Essential Skills for the Legal Professional, 6E reflects a thorough and practical approach, for a strong foundation in interviewing and investigating, as well as in the civil, criminal, and non-litigation contexts in which they are used. This comprehensive text uses realistic case scenarios, practical exercises, illustrations, and examples to teach the essential skills of interviewing and investigating, helping students to master rather than memorize the skills. Led by an experienced practitioner and author, readers will make connections between law and fact, engage in critical analysis, and develop
specific communication skills that are indispensable in practice.
- Summaries of newly decided cases involving attorney-client privilege and the use of social media to communicate.
- References to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in Chapters 3 and 4 revised to reflect December 2015 amendments, including:
- FRCP 26(c)(1)(B): cost shifting in connection with a motion for protective order during discovery
- FRCP 37(e): national standard for imposition of sanctions for spoliation of ESI
- FRCP 16(b)(3):judicial input on certain e-discovery issues at the outset of a case.
- References to Federal Rules of Evidence 801(d)(1)(B) and 803(6)(7)(8) updated and new examples added.
- New section on the confrontation clause.
- All websites updated and new sites added.
- Discussions of e-discovery updated to reflect the latest developments in online social networking and technology.
- In updated case studies, social media plays a significant role in the characters’ lives—sometimes to their detriment.
- Expansion of the treatment of public records and the explanation of what state public records acts cover and how to access them.
- Refreshed instructor’s manual providing a sample syllabus, suggested approaches to using the various pedagogical features in the text, instructions and evaluation form for persons roleplaying as witnesses, and a complete test bank with answers.