product description page
Introducing English Grammar - by Kersti Borjars & Kate Burridge (Paperback)
About this item
Introducing English Grammarintroduces readers to the methodology and terminology needed to analyse English sentences. The approach taken is in line with current research in grammar, a particular advantage for students who may go on to study syntax in more depth. All the examples and exercises use real language taken from newspaper articles, non-standard dialects and include excerpts from studies of patients with language difficulties. Students are encouraged to think about the terminology as a tool kit for studying language and to test what can and cannot be described using these tools.
This new edition has been fully updated and features:
- an expanded introduction;
- new texts and exercises that include data from social media;
- revised material on Grammar at work and English worldwide;
- a new discussion on recent developments in the study of noun phrase and clausal structure;
- more suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter;
- a brand-new companion website with extensive further reading and answers to the exercises, which can be found at www.routledge.com/cw/borjars.
Written for readers with no previous experience of grammatical analysis, Introducing English Grammar is suited to anyone beginning a study of linguistics, English language or speech pathology, as well as to students with primary literary interests who need a better understanding of the structure of English.