About this item
Emphasizing safe and effective drug administration, Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology, 9th Edition helps you understand the principles of pharmacology to avoid making medication errors. It promotes safety by showing how drugs and drug classes work, so you can understand why drugs are given, as well as the adverse effects and drug interactions that may occur. This new edition includes Lifespan Considerations which explain important alerts you need to be aware of when administering drugs to pediatric and geriatric patients. The 9th edition also includes a nursing process section which outlines each drug class along with the nurse's role during administration. Written by a new team of nationally known nursing educators, this text provides just the right scope of nursing pharmacology content for most LPN/LVN programs.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight important nursing considerations for safe medication administration and monitoring.
- Lifespan Considerations boxesfor Children andOlder Adults draw attention to information that would be especially important when giving a specific drug to patients of those age groups.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section includes Key Points, Review Questions, and Case Studies with Critical Thinking Questions to prepare you for pharmacology questions on the NCLEX-PN Exam.
- Video clips on medication administration procedures provide you with a visual reference for safe medication administration.
- Ideal scope of content and readability for LPN/LVN programs includes basic, need-to-know pharmacology content.
- A focus on understanding drug classes rather than memorizing individual drugs helps you understand the actions and uses of drug classes and provides a framework for safe, effective practice as new drugs are introduced to the market.
- Key content is highlighted, as in all of Elsevier's LPN Threads textbooks, with features such as Top Tips for Safety, Memory Joggers, and Lifespan Considerations boxes.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations and text page references help improve terminology and language skills before you enter clinical practice.
- NEW! Chapter on Eye and Ear Medications focuses on important glaucoma treatments.
- NEW! Dosage ranges added to drug tables reinforce safe medication administration
- NEW! Top tips for safety and clinical care provide you with advice from practicing nurses in applicable situations.
- NEW! Expanded content on cultural considerations help you think about ethnic differences that may relate to each drug class.
- NEW! Drug and IV calculation questions test your knowledge of dosages and calculations.