product description page
Introduction to Human Development and Family Studies (Paperback) (Bridget A. Walsh & Lydia Deflorio &
About this item
Introduction to Human Development and Family Studies is the first text to introduce human development and family studies (HDFS) as inextricably linked areas of study, giving students a complex yet realistic view of individuals and families. Pioneers of research paradigms have acknowledged that the family is one setting in which human development occurs. Moreover, in many academic programs, the lines of these two disciplines blur and much work is inherently multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary. This book helps to fortify an understanding of HDFS and subareas within it.
Vignettes from current HDFS students as well as new professionals, an overview of the lifespan stage(s) within the family context, a wide description of research methods and applications, current policy issues relevant to the area, and discussions of practice/careers coupled with strategies for pursuing specializations or careers in the area are hallmarks of this textbook. Introduction to Human Development and Family Studies is essential reading for students new to the major and minor wanting to know:
- what is human development and family studies?,
- who are the people involved in human development and family studies?,
- why is human development and family studies important?,
- how does theory and research inform work in human development and family studies?,
- what the pursuit of being an ethical professional requires?,
- what are the key areas in human development and family studies?
Incredibly user-friendly both on the page and online, the text also features the following resources:
- Chapter Summaries where the main points of each chapter are pinpointed at the end of every chapter for review and study.
- Key Terms listed and defined within the margins of every chapter, a complete Glossary at the end of the text, and Flashcards online for additional review and study.
- Challenge: Integration sections at the end of each chapter that underscore concepts from the chapter and draws connections between content presented in other chapters.
- Journal Questions to encourage reflection about the content and encourage thinking about some of the content coupled with students’ own experiences.
- Suggested Resources that lists relevant websites, books, articles, and video links for further study.
- Applied Experiences Appendix outlines the internship process and shows how the internship experience can be meaningful and useful, and a Consuming Research Appendix that focuses on what it means to be a consumer of research, the knowledge and skills consumers need, and considerations for transitioning from a consumer of research to a producer of research. <