product description page
Introduction to Japanese Politics - by Louis D. Hayes (Hardcover)
About this item
Introduction to Japanese Politics, now in its fully updated sixth edition, is a comprehensive and current review of political and public policy developments in Japan. Since the previous edition, Japan’s economic policy has undergone significant change with a prolonged period of deflation having altered the dynamics of the Japanese economy. At the same time, the Abe administration has expanded Japan’s international security participation, previously limited by the constitution, while China’s activities in the South China Sea have impinged upon Japan’s territorial claims.
This classic introduction to the Japanese political system has been revised and fully updated in this sixth edition to take into account these widespread changes in the country's political life. Building on the structure and content of the previous edition, this new edition covers:
- An overview of Japan's geographical setting and history
- Japan’s political institutions, processes, and actors
- Recent organizational, ideological, and policy changes in the LDP since its return to power
- The country's distinctive social order and its educational, healthcare, and public safety systems
- The increasingly contentious realm of foreign relations and security issues, including China's expanding role and the effect of North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons.
This broad-ranging textbook continues to be essential reading for students of Japanese politics, international politics and Japanese studies.