product description page
Joy of Finite Mathematics : The Language and Art of Math (Paperback) (Chris P. Tsokos & Rebecca D.
about this item
The Joy of Finite Mathematics: The Language and Art of Math teaches students basic finite mathematics through a foundational understanding of the underlying symbolic language and its many dialects, including logic, set theory, combinatorics (counting), probability, statistics, geometry, algebra, and finance.
Through detailed explanations of the concepts, step-by-step procedures, and clearly defined formulae, readers learn to apply math to subjects ranging from reason (logic) to finance (personal budget), making this interactive and engaging book appropriate for non-science, undergraduate students in the liberal arts, social sciences, finance, economics, and other humanities areas.
The authors utilize important historical facts, pose interesting and relevant questions, and reference real-world events to challenge, inspire, and motivate students to learn the subject of mathematical thinking and its relevance.
The book is based on the authors’ experience teaching Liberal Arts Math and other courses to students of various backgrounds and majors, and is also appropriate for preparing students for Florida’s CLAST exam or similar core requirements.
- Highlighted definitions, rules, methods, and procedures, and abundant tables, diagrams, and graphs, clearly illustrate important concepts and methods
- Provides end-of-chapter vocabulary and concept reviews, as well as robust review exercises and a practice test
- Contains information relevant to a wide range of topics, including symbolic language, contemporary math, liberal arts math, social sciences math, basic math for finance, math for humanities, probability, and the C.L.A.S.T. exam
- Optional advanced sections and challenging problems are included for use at the discretion of the instructor
- Online resources include PowerPoint Presentations for instructors and a useful student manual