product description page
Learning to Teach Mathematics in the Secondary School : A Companion to School Experience (Hardcover)
About this item
What is the role of mathematics in the secondary classroom and what is expected of a would-be maths teacher?
How is mathematics best taught and learnt?
This textbook combines theory and practice to present a broad introduction to the opportunities and challenges of teaching mathematics in the modern secondary school classroom. The new edition takes into account developments in teacher trainin and education, the National Curriculum, and examinations and assessment:
- The purpose of school mathematics
- Communicating mathematically
- The role of new technologies in the mathematics
- Curriculum and its teaching
- Education for pupils with special needs/for SEN
- Assessment and public examinations
- Teaching mathematics post-16
Designed for use as a core textbook, the book looks at mathematics in context and as a wide-ranging subject, representing general and cross-curricular skills. Issues of professional development, including Assessment for Learning and reflective practice are examined, as well as a range of teaching approaches and styles, from whole-class strategies to personalised learning.