product description page
LGBT Health : Meeting the Needs of Gender and Sexual Minorities - (Paperback)
About this item
LGBT Health: Meeting the Needs of Gender and Sexual Minorities offers a first-of-its-kind, comprehensive view of mental, medical, and public health conditions within the LGBT community. This book examines the health outcomes and risk factors that gender and sexual minority groups face while simultaneously providing evidence-based clinical recommendations and resources for meeting their health needs. Drawing from leading scholars and practitioners of LGBT health, this holistic, centralized text synthesizes epidemiologic, medical, psychological, sociological, and public health research related to the origins of, current state of, and ways to improve LGBT health.
The award-winning editors have assembled LGBT health experts who have conducted extensive research into diverse areas of LGBT health. Sections guide the reader through the entire spectrum of LGBT health, from the historical roots of LGBT health research all the way to modern, emerging lines of inquiry to improve health among diverse gender and sexual minority groups. Specific groundbreaking coverage includes such populations as LGBT veterans; reproductive health and parenting; sexual minority persons living with chronic illness and disability, and more. This encompassing volume serves as a go-to reference, a call to action, and a guide for anyone involved in researching and improving the health of LGBT populations.
- Synthesizes research from the psychological, sociological, medical, and public health fields into a comprehensive discussion of LGBT health
- Covers the continuum of health from antecedents and sociocultural determinants through specific evidence-based approaches for improving outcomes
- Includes specific focus on a wide range of health outcomes, including topics often neglected in the field such as reproductive health and parenting, intimate partner violence, cancer, and other chronic diseases
- Specifically investigates a variety of LGBT subgroups and their unique health needs including for LGBT veterans, transgender men and women, and racial and ethnic minorities who are LGBT
- PowerPoint slides with discussion questions available for qualified Instructors