product description page
Managing in the Public Sector : A Casebook in Ethics and Leadership (Hardcover) (Brett S. Sharp & Grant
About this item
Casebooks in public administration have become intensely sophisticated with complex scenarios, richly detailed multi-step simulations, and demanding role playing requirements. While these types of cases and exercises have their place,Managing in the Public Sector is a casebook designed with maximum instructor flexibility and student engagement in mind. Featuring cases brief enough to be covered in the last few minutes of a class as well as those substantive enough to last the entire hour, this book allows instructors to illustrate theoretical concepts, encourage active student participation, to make a transition between topics, or to integrate different approaches to administrative study.
Retaining the first edition’s use of focused, real-life-inspired cases to help elucidate the application of concepts for students, the second edition has been updated and revised throughout to include:
- An expanded chapter on ethical analysis
- A new section on how to make logical arguments
- Thoroughly updated cases as well as many new contemporary cases
- New chapter introductions featuring overviews of major leadership and ethical theories to provide students with the context they need
- Discussion questions at the end of each case to facilitate critical analysis and classroom discussion
- A cross-listing of all cases and subject matter in an appendix for quick topical reference.
Now even more enmeshed in the literature of ethics, leadership, and public administration,Managing in the Public Sector, 2e provides authentic, hands-on experience of the decisions public administrators must face. It is an ideal casebook to supplement undergraduate and graduate public administration, leadership, human resource management, or administrative ethics courses.