product description page
Materials and Techniques of Post-tonal Music - by Stefan Kostka & Matthew Santa (Paperback)
About this item
Materials and Techniques of Post-Tonal Music, Fifth Edition provides the most comprehensive introduction to post-tonal music and its analysis available. Covering music from the end of the nineteenth century through the beginning of the twenty-first, it offers students a clear guide to understanding the diverse and innovative compositional strategies that emerged in the post-tonal era, from Impressionism to computer music.
This updated fifth edition features:
- chapters revised throughout to include new examples from recent music and insights from the latest scholarship;
- the introduction of several new concepts and topics, including parsimonius voice-leading, scalar transformations, the New Complexity, and set theory in less chromatic contexts;
- expanded discussions of spectralism and electronic music;
- timelines in each chapter, grounding the music discussed in its chronological context;
- a companion website that provides students with links to recordings of musical examples discussed in the text and provides instructors with an instructor’s manual that covers all of the exercises in each chapter.
Offering accessible explanations of complex concepts, Materials and Techniques of Post-Tonal Music, Fifth Edition is an essential text for all students of post-tonal music theory.