about this item
Mormonism: The Basics offers a balanced introduction to Mormonism which equips students to understand the teachings, practices, personalities and media representations of the Mormon faith. Presenting Mormonism as a religious tradition that has developed multiple expressions, it examines how each different stream has pursued a different approach to defining its identity and engaging with the larger society. In doing so it addresses such topics as:
- What is Mormonism and how did it start?
- Is Mormonism in tension with the state?
- How are issues like gender, sexuality and family treated in the Mormon faith?
- How do Mormons live their religion?
- Where is Mormonism’s sacred space?
- Is Mormonism a global faith?
With a detailed chronology and suggestions for further reading, Mormonism: The Basics is an ideal introduction for anyone wanting to learn more about historical and contemporary Mormonism.