about this item
This book comprehensively covers the wide geographical range of the northern home fronts during the Civil War, emphasizing the diverse ways people interpreted, responded to, and adapted to war by their ideas, interests, and actions.
• Contemporary illustrations from illustrated magazines such as Harper's Weekly andFrank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper
• Lithographs depicting such activities as women and men at work making armaments, people examining wares at a Sanitary Fair, nurses tending to soldiers in hospitals, and immigrants, workers, and others in dissent
• Period photographs of subjects such as supply depots filled with material for war, women making flags for regiments, and recruiting activities
• A map of the northern states
• An extensive and extremely detailed bibliographical essay