product description page
Organizational Change (Paperback) (Barbara Senior & Stephen Swailes)
about this item
This very successful textbook explores change and how it relates to the complexities of organizational life, and puts an emphasis on applying the theory to practice. Now significantly updated and in its 5th edition, Organizational Change reflects a rapidly changing world and considers ‘how change has changed’.
The book is structured in three parts. The first part considers the causes and nature of change. Part two opens up the organization to expand on issues of structuring for change, the cultural and political contexts for change and how to lead change. Part three moves firmly into addressing the more practical considerations of designing, planning and implementing change.
Ideal for both MBA students and those studying specialist courses in Organizational Development and Change, the clear structure and content of this text also make it accessible to final year undergraduate students.
- Offers comprehensive coverage of the significant ideas and issues associated with change at all levels of organizational activity, from the strategic to the operational, and at the individual, group, organizational and societal levels.
Takes a conceptual and analytical approach to the way that theory and research relate to organizations, and how change is explored.
Includes practical elements and worked examples of different approaches to ‘doing’ change.
Provides illustrations of practical change situations in each chapter.
Invites readers to undertake challenging activities to encourage the application of ideas and learning from the text to personal experience.
Provides end-of-chapter cases, additional reading and suggested websites for readers wishing to pursue ideas and issues further.
New to this edition
- Significantly updated chapters in terms of content, illustrations and recent theory and research.
- Since the last edition, the final chapter has been specifically updated to reflect the changing social, demographic, technological and economic contexts for the future of organizations and work.
- New material on complexity theory, strategic change, actor-networks, institutional theory and leadership.
- An exploration of how ‘change has changed’ in recent years, plus content on organizations of the future and challenges for future research.
Barbara Senior is a Chartered Occupational Psychologist who has published a number of books, articles and conference papers based on her research and activities. She is Principal of the Highfield Consultancy, which researches and offers consultancy services in the areas of organizational psychology and change.
Stephen Swailes is Professor of Human Resource M