product description page
Parenting the Strong-Willed Child : The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to
about this item
A clinically proven, five-week program for improving your child's behavior
Rex Forehand, Ph.D. and Nicholas Long Ph.D. have helped thousands of parents achieve discipline using positive reinforcement, without yelling or harming the child's self-esteem. Their clinically proven, five-week program gives you the tools you need to successfully manage your child’s behavior, giving specific factors that cause or contribute to disruptive behavior; ways to develop a more positive atmosphere in your family and home; and strategies for managing specific behavior problems.
The completely revised and updated edition includes: new information, based on research, about child temperament; new chapter on the hot topic of play as a means of strengthening parent-child relationship; new section on collaborative disciplining with preschool teachers; expanded section about depression and stress linked to parenting; new research findings about ADHD and its treatment.
- Uncover the specific factors that contribute to your child's disruptive behavior.
- Identify with real-life parent testimonials and discover strategies for managing specific behavior problems.
- Authors Rex Forehand, Ph.D., and Nicholas Long, Ph.D., are experts in the field of child psychology.
- New research highlights the scientific foundation behind the program.
Topics include:Understanding Your Strong-Willed Child's Behavior; Strong-Willed Behavior and How It All Begins; Why Is My Child Becoming Even More Strong-Willed?; It Takes More than Just Good Parenting; Does My Child Have ADHD?; Addressing Strong-Willed Behavior: A Five-Week Program; Does My Child’s Behavior Really Need to Change?; Week 1: Attending; Week 2: Rewarding; Week 3: Ignoring; Week 4: Giving Directions; Week 5: Using Time-Outs; Integrating Your Parenting Skills; Creating a Positive Climate for Behavior Change; Creating a More Positive Home; Improving Your Communication Skills; Developing More Patience; Building Positive Self-Esteem; Helping Your Child Solve Problems with Peers; Solving Some Common Behavior Problems: Additional Recommendations; Specific Problem Behaviors
The bestselling five-week program for improving child behavior now revised and updated!
- Combined sales of previous editions total over 150,000 copies
- Authors are recognized child-behavior experts; their book is highly recommended to parents by other professionals
- Covers depression and stress linked to parenting, and the role of ADHD in disruptive behavior
Rex Forehand, Ph.D. (Burlington, VT) is a professor of psychology and director of Clinical Training.
Nicholas Long, Ph.D. (Little Rock, AK) is a director of Pediatric Psychology.