product description page
Pedretti's Occupational Therapy : Practice Skills for Physical Dysfunction (Hardcover) (Heidi Mchugh
about this item
Pedretti's Occupational Therapy: Practice Skills for Physical Dysfunction, 8th Edition prepares you for occupational therapy practice with adults who have physical disabilities. This cornerstone text provides a foundation for the development of clinical reasoning skills in a comprehensive, case-based learning approach to physical dysfunction. New full color photos and helpful pedagogy, including threaded case studies, OT Practice Notes, ethical considerations, and end-of-chapter review questions, reinforce learning, enhance retention, and prompt you to apply principles in a clinical setting.
- UNIQUE! Threaded case studies, woven throughout each chapter, help you apply concepts to real-life clinical practice.
- UNIQUE! Ethical Considerations boxes highlight the key ethical concerns of treatment options so you can practice ethically.
- UNIQUE! OT Practice Notes convey important considerations for professional practice.
- Focuses on the occupational therapist's role in health and wellness, which the OTA has identified as a key practice area in the 21st century.
- Information on prevention, rather than simply intervention or treatment, shows how OTs can take a proactive role in patient care.
- Evidence-based content included throughout, especially in regards to evaluation and intervention.
- Content on occupational therapy's commitment to considering cultural and ethnic diversity in every chapter.
- Key terms, chapter outlines, chapter objectives lay out the information you can expect to learn from each chapter.
- NEW! Coverage of the Occupational Therapy Practice Framework (OTPF-3)increases your understanding of the OTPF-3 and its relationship to the practice of occupational therapy with adults who have physical disabilities.
- NEW! All new section on the therapeutic use of self, which the OTPF lists as the single most important line of intervention occupational therapists can provide.
- NEW! Chapter on hospice and palliative care presents the evidence-base for hospice and palliative care occupational therapy; describes the role of the occupational therapist with this population within the parameters of the third edition of the Occupational Therapy Practice Framework (OTPF-3); and recommends clinician self-care strategies to support ongoing quality care.
- UPDATED! Completely revised Spinal Cord Injury chapter addresses restoration of available musculature; self-care; independent living skills; short- and long-term equipment needs; environmental accessibility; and educational, work, and leisure activities. It looks at how the occupational therapist offers emotional support and intervention during every phase of the rehabilitation program.
- UPDATED! Completely revised chapter on low back pain