product description page
Photonics for THz and Millimeter Waves in Ultra-Fast Wireless Communications (Hardcover) (Ci-ling Pan &
About this item
Introduces and reviews the generation, modulation, and applications of THz-radiation and millimeter waves
Within the last 15 years or so, there has been an explosion in the number of people working in the field of THz-wave-related technologies. There is often a gap between how engineers and scientists approach such technologies, and this book bridges that gap by providing an essential reference to the wider technology and its applications.
The book is divided into three major parts.
- The first part is the photonic generation of THz and MMW waves, which includes the homo-dyne photonic THz wave sources, pulse-shaped femtosecond light sources, design and realization of high-speed/power photonic transmitters (photomixer) or photoconductive switch for remote signal-generation.
- The second part covers the modulation and detection of THz (MMW) waves, which includes the bias modulation of photonic transmitter, photonic-crystal and liquid-crystal based THz wave modulator (phase shifter), THz time-domain spectroscopic (TDS) system, and diode-based fast THz power detector.
- The third part includes the applications of these THz photonic techniques, primarily focusing very-high data rate (Gbps) wireless communication.
Photonics for THz and Millimeter Waves in Ultra-Fast Wireless Communication:
- Considers the applications of THz and MMW waves for next generation wireless communication, including airport security checks, bio imagery, radio astronomy, and fundamental science research
- Motivated by the development of communication and sensing applications in the millimeter-wave to THz segment
- Discusses new and emerging applications such as pulse-shaper combined with high-power photodiode for MMW signal generation, plus realization of high-power photonic transmitter with various PD techniques
- Provides an overview of the key technologies for THz and MMW waves, appealing to both students and experts in the technical sectors
Essential reading for Postgraduate students and researchers in microwave engineering and optoelectronic device physics, as well as Engineers in the radio-over-fiber communication industry working on next generation photonics-based wireless communication.