product description page
Physically Fit Messiah : Wellness Wisdom PAST and PRESENT (Paperback) (Cal Samra)
about this item
HOW OPEN AND READY ARE YOU TO LEARN
FROM THE PAST AND CHANGE YOUR PRESENT?
If you pooh-pooh the wisdom of our elders and have little regard for history, this book is NOT for you. However, if you believe you can garner motivation to live, and at the same time promote in others, a healthier lifestyle from an author who is...
- an octogenarian who plays tennis four times a week,
- a man who eats a Mediterranean diet similar to the diet that Jesus ate and enjoys organic gardening,
- a former newspaper reporter and columnist who has been editing a national humor newsletter for churches (The Joyful Noiseletter) for 31 years,
- a health and humor historian,
- a man who has such a sense of humor and humility that he admits he once was so depressed that he looked for ways to hang himself from an Arizona cactus...
then Samra’s book will be life-changing for you.
Too many people are ailing and dying in church pews, and author Cal Samra is challenging clergy and health professionals to stem the epidemic of obesity, Alzheimer's, and other diseases by respecting the contributions of health reformers of the past and present. He introduces you to the early Greek Christian physicians, the early Franciscans, John Wesley and the early Methodists, Congregationalist Harriet Beecher Stowe, Ellen White and the Seventh Day Adventists, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, and modern health reformers like George Bernard Shaw and Jack LaLanne.
He teaches you to be concerned about the environmental factors affecting your health, nutrition, the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe, our physical fitness as well as our spiritual fitness. He tells you how to avoid Alzheimer’s and make the healing power of humor work for you. He urges clergy, health professionals, parents... everyone... to be fearless in promoting health and fitness.
The Physically Fit Messiah is a book that embraces humor (the book includes 26 cartoons), honesty (Samra tells it like he sees it), and inclusivity (all religious faiths, even though it has a predominantly Christian flavor).
After a serious illness, Samra himself recovered his health when he totally changed his outlook on life and returned to the natural Mediterranean diet he had been raised on, very similar to the food that Jesus ate. He is living testimony to the Wellness Wisdom PAST and PRESENT that he promotes in The Physically Fit Messiah.
Chapter titles include:
- "Jesus: The Ultimate Health Reformer and Action Hero"
- "The H