About the Book
"Plant Powered Mexican goes far beyond veggie tacos, delivering creative recipes from Al Pastor Winter Squash to Jackfruit Tinga Grain Bowls"--
Book Synopsis In Plant Powered Mexican, Kate Ramos (Hola Jalepeno) takes you on a tour of her delicious, vegetable-driven kitchen with 70+ recipes celebrating the flavors of Mexico.
Mexican recipes have long been known for their fresh, vibrant ingredients
and delicious flavor combinations
. However, it's only recently that chefs and eaters alike have discovered something wonderful: many Mexican recipes taste just as good (or better!) when vegetables are the star
. This collection of meat-free Mexican recipes
includes favorites passed down from family as well as many of Kate's own creations.
Chapters and recipes include:
- Low Cook: Spicy Mexican Gazpacho with Chopped Cucumber Salad; Cauliflower, Pepita, and Rice Salad Lettuce Wraps; Chilled Avocado Soup with Farmer's Market Fairy Dust; Tomatillo Poke Bowl with Avocado and Pink Grapefruit; Marinated Vegetable Torta with Serrano-Lemon Aioli
- From the Stove: Spinach and Caramelized Onion Sopes, Winter Vegetable Enmoladas with Queso Fresco, Jackfruit Tinga Grain Bowls, Squash Blossom Quesadillas with Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa, Poached Eggs Divorciados
- From the Oven: Roasted Carrot Barbacoa Tostadas, Sweet Pea and Potato Empanadas, One Pan Chile Rellenos, Sheet Pan Chilaquiles Rojos with Cilantro-Lime Crema
- From the Grill: Sangria Marinated Veggie Skewers, Chipotle-spiced Cauliflower Tacos, Grilled Stuffed Peppers with Mint, Queso Asado and Calabacitas
- Electric Pressure Cooker: Almond Mole, Poblano Pepper-Potato Soup with Toasted Pepitas, Vegan Red Pozole with Mushrooms, Black Bean and Swiss Chard Enchilada Casserole
While some recipes are easier than others, they were all developed with the family table in mind
. This means most are weeknight meals
meant to fit into a busy family's life.
In addition to the centerpiece mains, you'll find salads
, and plenty of classics to return to week after week as well--think time-tested salsa recipes
, a foolproof version of Mexican rice
, and a hands-off pot of flavorful beans
that can be served up four different ways. Many of the recipes in the book are vegan
and others can be made vegan
by omitting or substituting cheese or milk.
Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or simply a vegetable-loving cook
, these are the Mexican recipes you've been waiting for!
"Plant Powered Mexican
fills an important need for plant-based home cooks around the country. Each recipe is carefully crafted with a focus on traditional and diverse Mexican ingredients and preparations, with a slight SoCal twist . . . we promise you won't miss the meat! I can guarantee you don't have anything like this on your cookbook shelf."
----Lexi Harrison, co-founder of Crowded Kitchen
"Kate Ramos's love of Mexican cuisine shines through on every page of this gorgeous, colorful book. If anyone is going to convince me to fill up my plate with more vegetables, it's her. Not only has she mastered many Mexican staples, she clearly understands Mexican ingredients and how to deliciously incorporate them into everyday meals."----Pati Jinich, chef, cookbook author, host of PBS Pati's Mexican Table
this book! Plant Powered Mexican
is full of lush, beautiful food and genius ways to make plant-forward eating both accessible and drool-worthy. Kate's recipes and photography are simply stunning! We'll be cooking this book from start to finish."
----Sonja and Alex Overhiser, creators of A Couple Cooks and authors of Pretty Simple Cooking
About the Author
Kate Ramos is the writer and creator of the Mexican-inspired food blog ¡Hola! Jalapeño. Ramos spent the first ten years of her career in restaurant kitchens cooking under chefs Cindy Pawlcyn and Anne Rosenzweig, at restaurants in Napa Valley, San Francisco, and New York. After leaving the restaurant world, Ramos moved into food writing and editing at CHOW, where she helped manage the look and feel of the publication's food content. During the span of her editorial career, she has written, tested, and edited thousands of recipes. Kate's work has been featured in Better Homes & Gardens, Cosmopolitan, Elle, Shape, Parade, Buzzfeed, My Domaine, and Domino. Find her online at holajalapeno.com.