product description page
Practical Embedded Robotics : Applications With the Enhanced Mid-range Family of Pic Microcontrollers
about this item
Practical Embedded Robotics provides an accurate, concise and clear route through the design, operation and use of microcontrollers for robotic applications. It is divided into three main sections: the microcontroller core and its internal modules; the peripherals - sensors, actuators and devices; and the analysis of robots as a whole system, which presents examples of robotic platforms depending on their applications, logic diagrams and control systems.
Each chapter of the book provides brief theoretical aspects and practical tried & tested hands-on examples of hardware and software, beginning with simple functions and ending with complex applications such as implementing communication protocols, controlling display controllers, or using navigation units such as accelerometers, gyroscopes and GPS. Common hardware devices are also presented, with schematics used to connect them to a microcontroller. The applications are built around Microchip's new enhanced 8-bit family of microcontrollers, which provides computing power and peripheral diversity while keeping programming complexity low.
With this book, you will be able to:
• learn the general structure of a MCU-based application with examples from robotics
• read and understand any microcontroller datasheet
• program any 8-bit PIC microcontroller using any embedded C language and its registers
• measure responses from analog sensors
• create your own embedded functions
• communicate with any peripherals (sensors, motors, communication devices, displays) using all wired or wireless standards (RS232, RS422, RS485, SPI, I2C, 1-wire, PS/2, IrDA, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or ZigBee)
• understand the full range of batteries and their characteristics
• design your own robot power supply using batteries and linear or switching regulators
• control any type of DC motor (RC servo, brushed or brushless DC, or steppers)
• choose the appropriate rover or tracked drive train for your robotic platform
• design your own custom logic diagram for your robot.
An excellent resource for advanced students, professional developers and robotics hobbyists with an interest in building robotics applications
• Accompanying compact, powerful development kit enables you to get up and running quickly, designing and building your own devices
• Companion website provides numerous detailed code examples and schematics