product description page
Presenting an Effective and Dynamic Technical Paper : A Guidebook for Novice and Experienced Speakers in
about this item
Oral Communication Skills for Scientific Presentations is intended for inexperienced speakers as well as those aspiring to improve their communication skills in making either formal or informal presentations on a technical subject. A complement to having good organization for a technical presentation is to have an effective delivery style. This book provides a template for organizing a technical talk that will include a discussion of various ways to effectively develop each part of a technical presentation.
A special feature of Oral Communication Skills for Scientific Presentations is the focus on making presentations to a cross-cultural audience. This relates to relatively minor considerations such as how to list the names of the co-authors on your presentation as well as to more substantive considerations such as how to handle eye contact and use humor, both of which can differ across the global spectrum of cultures. The cross-cultural focus of this book relates not only to the audience, but also to the speaker. This book also includes helpful tips for non-native English speakers.
- Discusses best practices in putting together an effective talk
- Focuses on leveraging the speaker’s existing skill sets to develop the delivery style that works best for that individual
- Features one-page quick reference guides for giving formal oral and informal poster presentations
- Addresses cross-cultural communication as well as particular concerns for non-native English speakers
- Includes a companion site with tools and video examples of formal and informal presentations for further self-guidance