product description page
Princesses, Dragons and Helicopter Stories : Storytelling and Story Acting in the Early Years
About this item
Stories and fantasy play engage all young children and help them to draw connections and make sense of the world. MakeBelieve Arts Helicopter Stories are tried, tested and proven to have a significant impact on children’s literacy and communication skills, their confidence and social and emotional development. Based on the storytelling and story acting curriculum of Vivian Gussin Paley, this book provides a practical, step-by-step guide to using this approach with young children.
Covering all aspects of the approach, Artistic Director Trisha Lee shows you how you can introduce Helicopter Stories to children for the first time, scribing their tales and then bring their ideas to life by acting them out. Full of anecdotes and practical examples from a wide range of settings, the book includes:
- Clear guidelines and rules for scribing children’s stories, creating a stage and acting out stories
- How to deal with taboos and sensitive issues in children’s stories
- How to involve children who are unwilling to speak or act
- Supporting children with English as an Additional Language
- Links to show how the approach supports children’s holistic development
Providing an accessible guide to an approach that is gaining international recognition, and featuring a foreword by Vivian Gussin Paley, this book will be essential reading for all those that want to support children’s learning in a way that is fun, engaging and proven to work.