About this item
Private Security and the Law, Fifth Edition, is a singular resource that provides the most comprehensive analysis of practices in the security industry with respect to law, regulation, licensure, and constitutional questions of case and statutory authority.
The book begins with a historical background of the security industry, laws and regulations that walks step-by-step through the analysis of the development of case law over the years as it applies to situations commonly faced by security practitioners. It describes the legal requirements faced by security firms and emphasizes the liability problems common to security operations, including negligence and tortious liability, civil actions frequently litigated, and strategies to avoid legal actions that affect business efficiency.
In addition, chapters examine the constitutional and due-process dimensions of private security both domestically and internationally, including recent cases and trends that are likely to intensify in the future. Updated coverage new to this edition includes developments in statutory authority, changes to state and federal processes of oversight and licensure, and special analysis of public-private cooperative relationships in law enforcement.
Key features include:
- Up to date case law analysis provides cutting edge legal treatment of evolving standards
- Complicated material is presented in a straight-forward, readable style perfect for the student or security professional
- Includes over 200 tables and figures that illustrate concepts and present critical comparative data on statutes and regulations
- National scope provides crucial parameters to security practitioners throughout the U.S.
- Numerous case studies, case readings, and case examples provide real-world examples of security law and litigation in practice
Private Security and the Law, Fifth Edition is an authoritative, scholarly treatise that serves as a valuable reference for professionals and an introduction for students in security management and criminal justice programs regarding the legal and ethical standards that shape the industry.