product description page
Problem Solving in Primary Mathematics : Learning to Investigate! - (Hardcover)
About this item
Problem Solving in Primary Mathematics is an essential text designed to support new and experienced teachers in guiding pupils through mathematical investigations and problem solving, offering a framework that children themselves can begin to adopt as they progress to greater metacognitive awareness.
Underpinned by the latest international research and theory, it examines how individual pupils think and act differently and offers guidance on how to promote independence and autonomy in the classroom. It examines key topics such as:
- Preparing for mathematical learning
- Designing learning material
- Assessing and evaluating learning
- Identifying key points for intervention
- What to do when learning is stalled
- Critical numeracy for real-world problem solving
- Mental Model Theory and the Mental Model Mode
- Different approaches to problem solving and investigating
Aimed at new and experienced educators, particularly those with a maths specialism, and illustrated with investigations and activities, Problem Solving in Primary Mathematics demonstrates how frameworks can be used in key mathematical areas and assists students in progressing towards more meaningful problem solving.