product description page
Procedures for the Primary Care Provider (Paperback) (Ph.D. Marilyn Winterton Edmunds)
about this item
Confidently perform the most common office procedures with Procedures for the Primary Care Provider, 3rd Edition.This practical, spiral-bound reference provides step-by-step illustrated guidelines for basic and advanced office procedures commonly performed by Nurse Practitioners and Physician's Assistants. Each procedure follows a consistent format including a brief description of the procedure, a review of relevant anatomy and physiology, indications and contraindications, precautions, assessment, patient preparation, treatment alternatives, a list of equipment needed, and a step-by-step illustrated procedure. This third edition features nine new procedures, new illustrations, a more user-friendly full-color design, and much more.
- Need-to-know coverage of the most common office procedures performed by NPs, PAs, and other primary care providers makes this book an excellent guide for clinicians who may not perform these procedures regularly.
- Consistent procedure format includes a brief description of the procedure, a review of relevant anatomy and physiology, indications and contraindications, precautions, assessment, patient preparation, treatment alternatives, a list of equipment needed, and a step-by-step illustrated procedure.
- Detailed illustrations (nearly 400 drawings and photographs)clearly demonstrate the steps of each procedure.
- Step-by-step numbered guidelines for each procedure allow for quick reference.
- An introductory chapter covers legal, educational, and reimbursement factors related to performing common office procedures.
- Appendixes, including the Sample Checklist for Certification and the Sample Consent Form for Procedure, provide you with commonly used forms in an easy to access location.
- UPDATED! Nine new procedures reflect the changing spectrum of primary care procedures, customer requests, and changes in NP and PA practice (*asterisk indicates advanced procedures requiring special education and/or certification):
- Jewelry removal
- Fluoride varnish application
- Trigger point injection
- Dislocation reduction: finger (DIP and PIP joints)
- Bladder scanning with ultrasound
- Endometrial biopsy*
- Male circumcision (Gomco technique)*
- Manual detorsion of the testes*
- NEW! Red Flag alerts indicate when a procedure should be referred to a specialist.
- NEW and UPDATED! Additional and updated CPT billing codes, which are used frequently by NPs and PAs, reflect the most recent information.
- NEW! Brand new full-color, enhanced design, featuring procedure illustrations that fallwithin the boxed procedure steps, saves space and enhances learning.
- Convenient spiral binding lets you practice each procedure while keeping the