product description page
Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs : The New Options You Need to Know About - (Paperback)
About this item
"Vital new information for men diagnosed with prostate cancer!"
—George Johnson, Director of the Informed Prostate Cancer Support Group in San Diego, the largest independent group in California
If you or someone you know is one of the thousands of men diagnosed with prostate cancer each year, this book is must reading. In Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs, best-selling author Dr. Jay Cohen provides new information on PSA testing, targeted biopsy, and groundbreaking prostate cancer treatments.
Concise and easy to understand, Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs focuses on the information that all patients need to know. It first offers a step-by-step look at the entire diagnostic process, up to and including the diagnosis, and suggests how you should go about getting a second and even a third opinion. It then describes twelve different treatment choices that may be considered. Other important topics include genetic testing, Carbon-11 Acetate PET/CT scans for earlier identification of metastases, medication therapy, and more. Studies have proven that most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not need surgery or radiation treatment. Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs tells you how to determine what your options are. In the words of one reviewer, "This book answers all of your questions and others you didn't know to ask."
In this book, you will discover:
* Why 85% of men who get surgery or radiation for prostate cancer do not need it.
* Why a high PSA test does not necessarily mean cancer.
* How to tell if you really need a biopsy (many men don't).
* Why a targeted biopsy is superior to a standard biopsy, and where to get one.
* Why dynamic contrast-enhanced imaging (DCE-MRI) is key to deciding on treatment.
* Which genetic tests are available for accurate diagnosis and more effective therapy.
* If medication, rather than surgery/radiation, is a valid choice for you.
Today, many doctors and patients are still not aware of the breakthrough methods of diagnosis and treatment that are being used at top United States cancer centers. Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs provides the up-to-date information you need to make the choices that are right for you.