product description page
Rationality : Constraints and Contexts (Hardcover)
about this item
For half a century the idea of rational thought has been challenged by discoveries that call into question some of its foundations. How we actually think seems to be at odds with descriptive and prescriptive models that once held sway in the development of modern science and scholarship. Rationality: Contexts and Constraints is an active attempt to revise those models, so as to enhance their compatibility with new discoveries, in a maximally coherent and inclusive way.
Rationality: Contexts and Constraints is an inter-disciplinary reappraisal of the nature of rationality. In method it is pluralistic, drawing upon the analytic approaches of philosophy, linguistics, neuroscience, and more. These methods guide exploration of the intersection between traditional scholarship and cutting-edge philosophical or scientific research. In this way, Rationality: Contexts and Constraints contributes to development of a suitably revised, comprehensive understanding of rationality, one that befits the 21st century, one that is adequately informed by recent investigations of science, pathology, non-human thought, emotion, and even enigmatic Chinese texts that might previously have seemed to be expressions of irrationalism.
- Addresses recent challenges and Identifies a direction for future research on rationality
- Investigates the relationship between rationality and mental disorders such as delusion and depression
- Assesses reasoning in artificial intelligence and nonhuman animals
- Reflects on ancient Chinese Philosophy and possible cultural differences in human psychology
- Employs philosophical reflection along with linguistic, probabilistic, and logical techniques