about this item
This unique and comprehensive volume looks at the study of literature and religion from a contemporary critical perspective. Including discussion of global literature and world religions, this Companion looks at:
- Key moments in the story of religion and literary studies from Matthew Arnold through to the impact of 9/11
- A variety of theoretical approaches to the study of religion and literature
- Different ways that religion and literature are connected from overtly religious writing, to subtle religious readings
- Analysis of key sacred texts and the way they have been studied, re-written, and questioned by literature
- Political implications of work on religion and literature
Thoroughly introduced and contextualised, this volume is an engaging introduction to this huge and complex field.