about this item
The Routledge Handbook of Language and Metaphor provides a comprehensive overview of state-of-the-art interdisciplinary research on metaphor and language, and maps out future directions of research and practice in a variety of contexts in this field.
Metaphor has been recognized as an important phenomenon in language since classical antiquity. Over the centuries, it has been discussed by philosophers and other scholars, and its role in language, communication and thinking has sparked much controversy. This volume takes a broad view of the field of metaphor and language, and brings together diverse and distinct theoretical and applied perspectives to cover six key areas:
- Theoretical approaches to metaphor in language
- Methodological approaches to metaphor in language
- Formal variation of metaphor in language
- Functional variation of metaphor in language
- Applications/Interventions: Using metaphor analysis for problem solving
- Language, metaphor and cognitive development
The Routledge Handbook of Language and Metaphor is a must-have survey of this key field, and is essential reading for those interested in language and metaphor.