About this item
This new edition provides a comprehensive guide for safeguarding and child protection in the early years. Aimed at both students and practitioners, it offers clear insight and guidance into the legal and policy foundations for effective safeguarding practice, together with both the historical context and also more contemporary developments in safeguarding practice in the early years sector.
This second edition has been fully updated to reflect current legislation and includes new material on interagency work, supporting children’s resilience and safeguarding all children. Drawing on the everyday dilemmas and experiences of early years professionals, it helps you to find solutions to both practical and moral issues in a context of legal duties and responsibilities. The chapters consider:
- the historical context of safeguarding and child protection
- the legislative framework around safeguarding and child protection
- safeguarding through inter-professional and multidisciplinary work
- the identification of neglect in early years children
- the consequential abuse that can occur as a result of parental behaviours
- safeguarding children’s health and wellbeing
- safeguarding as a member of a team, and the importance of communication
- safeguarding against the misuse of technology.
Safeguarding and Protecting Children in the Early Years has been written by a multidisciplinary team of academics from a breadth of UK universities, with a wealth of experience in safeguarding and child protection, the EYFS, health visiting, social work, the police and in leading and managing services for children and families. This second edition is essential reading for anyone working with or aspiring to work with children in the early years.