product description page
Science 5-11 : A Guide for Teachers (Paperback) (Alan Howe & Christopher Collier & Kendra Mcmahon &
about this item
This third edition of the bestselling textbook Science 5–11 has been fully updated to provide a synthesis of research and best practice in teaching and learning that focuses on successful ways to engage and motivate young scientists.
Responding to the new curriculum, particularly ‘Working Scientifically’, this edition now includes:
- New sections on whole-school assessment, mentoring, transitions and a topics-based approach.
- Reference to the ‘big ideas’ of biology, chemistry and physics with chapters clearly related to this new subject structure.
- Updated tables of progression in each topic area and reference to cross-curricular contexts.
- New self-assessment questions for teachers, the option for higher-level thinking and further reading.
- An updated chapter on subject leadership with an increasing emphasis on monitoring progress.
Bringing together research undertaken from a range of activities in the field, this book forms a comprehensive and clear guide, outlining the subject knowledge that a teacher needs, the curriculum requirements and the best ways to go about teaching. A practical guide ideal for students, trainees, mentors and other practising teachers, the book provides information on appropriate science topics for Key Stage 1 and 2.